IBM Cloud Platform Metrics
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Note: The IBM Cloud Platform Metrics support in Instana is in technology preview, and we are hard at work to make the IBM Cloud Platform Metrics sensor a first-class citizen.
In the Technology Preview phase, the following IBM Cloud Platform Metrics are integrated with Instana.
- IBM Annotator for Clinical Data
- IBM Cloudant
- IBM Cloud Container Registry
- IBM Cloud Databases for Elasticsearch
- IBM Cloud Databases for etcd
- IBM Cloud Databases for MongoDB
- IBM Cloud Databases for PostgreSQL
- IBM Cloud Databases for RabbitMQ
- IBM Cloud Databases for Redis
- IBM Cloud Foundry
- IBM Cloud Functions
- IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS for MongoDB
- IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS for PostgreSQL
- IBM Cloud Object Storage
- IBM Cloud Schematics
- IBM Cloud SQL Query
- IBM Event Streams
- IBM Load Balancer (classic)
- IBM Load Balancer for VPC
- IBM VPC virtual server instances
- IBM VPN for VPC
- Enable collection of IBM Cloud Platform Metrics
- From IBM Cloud dashboard, select the Navigation menu icon on top left corner of the page.
- In the dropdown list, select Observability.
- Select Monitoring from the Observability page, then select the Open dashboard link.
- On the dashboard, select the circle icon with your user initials.
- Select settings then copy the API Token on the settings page. This is your API KEY.
- Install Instana agent on a system that has network access to both IBM Cloud and your Instana server.
- Search for IBM Cloud Platform Services section in the agent's configuration.yaml. This file can be found at
- Configure IBM Cloud Monitoring endpoint and API KEY for each IBM Cloud location that requires monitoring. Multiple locations can be configured.
# IBM Cloud Platform Services #com.instana.plugin.ibmcloud: # enabled: true # locations: # Support multiple IBM Cloud locations. Add location configuration below. # - location_endpoint: '<INSERT_ENDPOINT_HERE>' # IBM Cloud Monitoring endpoint. For example, https://us-south.monitoring.cloud.ibm.com # apikey: '<INSERT_APIKEY_HERE>' # IBM Cloud Monitoring API Key for this location. # - location_endpoint: '<INSERT_ENDPOINT_HERE>' # IBM Cloud Monitoring endpoint. For example, https://us-east.monitoring.cloud.ibm.com # apikey: '<INSERT_APIKEY_HERE>' # IBM Cloud Monitoring API Key for this location.
Navigate to IBM Cloud Platform Services Monitoring to see the supported service metrics.
For each sensor, there is a curated knowledgebase of health signatures that are evaluated continuously against the incoming metrics and are used to raise issues or incidents depending on user impact.
Built-in events trigger issues or incidents based on failing health signatures on entities, and custom events trigger issues or incidents based on the thresholds of an individual metric of any given entity.
Events may be raised by the agent sending IBM Cloud Platform Metrics to the Instana server. See the possible events. Built-in events reference.
Monitoring issue type:
IBM Cloud Platform Metrics Sensor could not connect to IBM Cloud due to invalid API Key. Make sure that a valid API Key is configured correctly in the configuration.yaml.
Monitoring issue type:
IBM Cloud Platform Metrics Sensor could not connect to IBM Cloud due to unknown host. Make sure that the host is configured correctly in the configuration.yaml.
Monitoring issue type:
IBM Cloud Platform Metrics Sensor could not connect to IBM Cloud for reasons other than invalid API Key or unknown host. Look at agent log for additional information.
TECHNOLOGY PREVIEW CODE: Technology Preview Code (TPC) may be included or distributed with the Program or updates to it. TPC will be identified as such in the Notices File (or in an updated Notices File accompanying the updates), or in a file or files referenced in such Notices File. Some or all of the TPC may not be made generally available by IBM as or in a product. You are authorized to use the TPC only for internal use for evaluation purposes and not for use in a production environment. The Notices File may limit this evaluation use to an evaluation period. If so, at the end of such evaluation period, You must cease using and uninstall the TPC. No support is provided for TPC and it is provided on an "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND (EXPRESS OR IMPLIED), INCLUDING,WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. You may not transfer TPC to another party. TPC may contain a disabling device that will prevent it from being used after the evaluation period ends. You will not tamper with this disabling device or the TPC. You should take precautions to avoid any loss of data that might result when the TPC can no longer be used.