How Instana Dynamic APM Works
Automatic Discovery and Continuous Alignment
Instana automatically discovers every application component and maps the interactions & dependencies between them.
The map is continuously updated with dependency and service quality information as changes occur.
Low Effort & Overhead Instrumentation
Deployment is easy and fast. Simply put an Instana Agent on each host. We take care of the rest:
- Discovery of the full technology stack (including containers and middleware) and stack dependencies
- Auto-deployment of technology-specific monitoring agents
- Instant tracing of requests across the entire environment
Not only does Instana begin monitoring with no configuration, but the Agents automatically update themselves and never force app server restarts. And Instana’s Agent has the lowest overhead in the industry.
Realtime 1-Second Data
In modern applications, one-second granularity is an absolute necessity.
Microservices and containers are short-lived. Some spin up to simply run a small piece of code before disappearing again.
- For monitoring, one-second granularity allows all performance data to be gathered from every component
- For discovery, one-second granularity enables all updates to occur, with full dependency and correlation, after only three seconds.
Even short spikes can be seen, allowing operators to understand whether a rollout / update caused an issue.
Capture Every Request with a Distributed Trace
To understand highly distributed, constantly changing applications, Instana captures performance and flow detail for every request.
- Instana collects the fully distributed trace of every request
- Troubleshooters can determine the exact component, dependency, or data payload that caused the problem.
Machine Learning and Knowledge Based Health Management
Instana automatically collects the critical metrics needed to determine each specific technology’s health status using:
- Curated, dynamic knowledgebase
- Intelligent anomaly detection
- Machine learning driven pattern detection
Service Quality Incident Reporting
Break through the noise of insignificant Events through a unique three-tiered approach to delivering Incident Reports.
Instana filters out the noise, raising only meaningful Events to Issue status. All Issues are correlated against each other to find connected events.
Incidents are created whenever a Service KPI is impacted. All correlated issues are collected into the Incident for reporting and troubleshooting.
Automatic, Exact Root Cause Identification
Modern applications built on microservices and/or containers are practically impossible for humans to troubleshoot.
Instana automatically identifies the Triggering Event of a service incident and the likely root cause of the problem.
Correlated Code Level Visibility
Drill into code execution details directly from traces or incident reports
- Code execution details are displayed
- Code is correlated to the hosts, containers, frameworks and time span where it was executed
Data Collection and Tracing APIs
Instana’s platform can be extended to monitor and trace any framework, technology, or protocol not presently supported
- API-based Trace and metric data are automatically integrated (and correlated when needed) with standard Instana data
- Out of the box, Instana collects data and traces from 60+technologies including Hosts, Containers, Languages, Middleware, Databases, and more